Tuesday 18 October 2016

Udo

Udo means cow island in Korean because it apparently resembles a reclining cow. It's 3.5 km off the coast from Seongsan-ri on the east coast of Jeju island. So a short ferry ride is required. The ferry takes both vehicles and pedestrians. Due to the popularity of Udo the ferries were running full tilt.


There is another attraction near Seongsan-ri, Seongsan Ilchubong, which is a tuff cone with a crater. People go there to watch the sunrise. But you'd have to overnight in Seongsan-ri for that. I had to give the crater a miss; there was no time to do both attractions in a day.


Another ferry coming in as we head out of the breakwater.


Ilchubong in the distance.


Jeju has been called the Hawaii of Korea due to the warmer climate. Many tourists would agree with the sentiment.


Korean youth, like Japanese youth, also like to sport out-of-kilter English words or slogans on their clothes. It wasn't a personal sentiment; I saw this item of clothing on sale elsewhere.


When I arrived, the first order of business was to have lunch. I spotted an eatery offering seafood. When I asked about the abalone noodle soup, it turned out the price was per person, minimum two. I would have to consume and pay for two portions if I wanted that. That was explained somewhat unclearly in the Chinese description too so obviously they get Chinese tourists.


I ended up with fish roe rice. It was quite good actually. It came with soup and a couple of side dishes.

Next I rented a pushbike for 3 hours. It cost 10,000W and required me to leave my passport with the shop. I couldn't rent a scooter because that required an IDL.


Here some visitors are posing next to a dol hareubang, found all over the island. I couldn't help thinking of them as mini versions of Easter island statues. On the bus they screened a safety cartoon admonishing kids not to be distracted by their smartphone while crossing the road. I thought the look of the hareubang in the video was stern and impassive.


I set off in a clockwise direction. As the port is on the western side, this meant I headed north initially. The circumference road is 15 km long so I had plenty of time to dawdle. Udo is low-lying and the rocks are obviously dark and volcanic. The smell of seaweed was pervasive.


Some of the larger scooters other people were driving. Some were petrol powered, some electric.


Volcanic rock in the foreground and I think some kind of co-operative in the distance.


I think this inland pond was used for aquaculture.


Eateries and shops for tourists.


Peanut ice cream is a favourite flavour here. Udo produces peanuts.


I think putting rocks on top of other rocks is a pastime for some people.


Small lookout tower, probably too small to be a lighthouse.


Flowers planted to give a splash of colour to dull brown rocks.


Colourful windmill toys at a place to have coffee. Note the use of ade. Normally we don't think of it as a separate word, just a suffix in lemonade, etc. Koreans have adopted it as a word for drink.


One of the few sandy beaches on Udo. Note the sculpture.


A photo opportunity area.


Finally I reached the maritime park at the eastern side of the island, which is more elevated and has a lighthouse.


This area was bustling.


A patch of grass.


Another view of the headland.


Boat excursions are possible.


I continued my circumnavigation. This side of the island seems greener.


Finally back at the port. I circled the roundabout and doubled back towards the rental shop.


Seaside sculpture.


Since I had a lot of time left on my rental, I treated myself to a cup of their signature peanut ice cream.


This is the main beach of Udo which looks to have better sand.


It even looks vaguely Mediterranean.


A friendly dog in the middle of the road, enjoying attention from visitors.


Longer stay accommodation for tourists.


And soon it was time to catch the ferry back to the main island.


On the way back to the stop to catch the bus to Seogwipo, I passed this facility where they were casting huge concrete shapes for the breakwater.

And that was the end of my day trip to Udo.

No comments:

Post a Comment