Monday 17 October 2016

To Jeju

A day of travel with only 2 pictures so I'll keep this short.

I checked out of the guesthouse and caught the metro to Gimpo Airport, which is also linked by train and somewhat closer than Incheon Airport. It's used mostly for domestic flights but a handful of international services use it too.

Here I'd like to acknowledge the kindness of the Koreans not once but twice. In the check-in lounge a woman returned my mobile phone to me. The pouch had slipped off my belt and dropped to the floor. I would have been quite lost with my digital assistant. When I boarded the flight I left my jacket behind on the chair. I realised this after finding my seat on the plane and asked the attendants to have someone look for it in the departure lounge. It came back to me intact.

At Jeju airport I hopped onto the limousine bus which took over an hour to reach Seogwipo, on the southern shore of Jeju Island. It is closer to the attractions than Jeju City, on the northern shore. I shall describe Jeju more in following posts.

I regret not turning on my mobile data sooner to use GPS to locate my hotel; it wouldn't have used up that much data. I wasted a lot of time trudging around with my backpack searching for the address in vain. Korean streets are difficult to locate as they often append consecutive numerals to one common street name for side streets.

However I was lucky in one respect. The hotel was on one of two Food Streets in that area of town so I only had to walk out to dither over where to eat. Here the side dishes and rice have arrived and I'm waiting for the main dish.

The dish is called gulsuntubu. Tubu is the Korean rendition of tofu and gulsun means oyster. I picked it because seafood is supposed to be good on Jeju. It didn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment