Tuesday 25 October 2016

Jeonju

I had the morning to explore the open air museum that is the Jeonju Hanok Village. It contains some 800 traditional houses many of which are used as cultural attractions. A bit of consultation of the maps and a short walk found me on this main street. It was drizzling but I had a rain poncho.


Lanes are narrow like this.


A souvenir shop. The brightly coloured traditional Korean Hanbok dresses are for rental. More soon.


A modern restaurant at the end of the street. The village is an open air museum but people live and businesses are active in it. However there are concerns about the encroachment of commercial elements into the village.


A frontal view.


This was a cultural centre or museum of some sort, I can't read the hangul and neglected to note translations if any. Notice the curved eaves similar to Chinese buildings. Speaking of translations, the tourism authority should provide more for foreign visitors.


Peaceful pond in the same compound.


The official plaque of the village.


Coming back down the next street across, I found this water canal.


It's actually the sink end of the canal.


The canal runs almost the length of the street.


Streetside fountains.


Small formal garden.


With an artificial waterfall.
And this is the source of the canal.


A water mill.

At this point I spotted a couple of girls in Hanbok crossing the street. They disappeared around the corner before I could get a focused shot.


I needn't have worried, because other girls were all over the village. It seemed to be a fun thing to do, rent a traditional dress, walk around the village, take selfies, and have photos taken. There were some boys in traditional dress but they were far fewer than the girls.


Here's a procession of them.


This is the entrance to the Gyeonggijeon.


And this if I'm not mistaken, is a side view of Jeonju Cathedral.

At this point I had to catch a taxi back to the station to board the KTX to return to Seoul. For this half of my stay in Seoul, I had picked a guesthouse near Hongik University, abbreviated as Hongdae.

No comments:

Post a Comment