Sunday 16 October 2016

Namsan

My guesthouse was on the lower slopes of Namsan (South Mountain) and the access road was lined with businesses, mostly eating and drinking venues. Fortunately noise did not reach the guesthouse. I slept in a bit because it was Sunday.


The lower cable car station was not easy to find. After some false leads from conflicting information on maps I found the elevator to the lower station near a highway, not very far away from Namdaemun market in fact.


My plan was to ride the cable car to the summit and then walk down.


Of course, the peak is used for broadcasting purposes.


There was a small terrace at the top of the elevator and bottom of the cable car run.


Up at the top, actors were reenacting the lives of soldiers on watch in feudal times. I think the chimneys on the ledge were part of a signalling system to other watchtowers involving fire and smoke.


The colourful costumes provided lots of material for selfies.


Lovers' padlocks on the railings.


I wonder if they ever cull these.


Seoul Tower.


What can I say, I liked this colourful flower bed.


A hazy view over North Seoul.


Poor bushes, victims of love.


Note the occasional smartphone case.


The access road.


The plaza at the top of the mountain houses shops, eateries and entertainment venues.


A view towards South Seoul with the Han river.


Tourists swarming around the gazebo.


Another flower bed.


Time to descend. A parting view of the plaza. It took me about 40 minutes to walk down. I was overtaken by many cyclists speeding downhill. I shudder to think of the effort riding up to be able to freewheel down.


The walk took me past parts of the old Seoul city walls.


I think this is a hotel with a rotating level for panoramic views.


The path downhill beside the old city wall. I think it's recreated, not original.


Close up view of wall construction.


The lower entrance of the access road. The Hangeul characters read: Nam San Gong Won (Namsan Public Park).

No comments:

Post a Comment